Waiting for a windy day... 8/5/67

Well, since I last wrote I've developed a strong fondness for Alligator and Good Morning Little Schoolgirl and voluntarily stepped down from my position as Store Manager to Assistant Store Manager at work.

I took a good part of a month off from listening to the Grateful Dead after listening to mush (I mean much - funny typo) of 1967 and 1968.

I find it difficult to want to review music as I listen to it. I'd really rather just space out and jam, or listen while I do yard work or whatever. I'll have to develop a system of some sort to keep notes and write the reviews.

For a quick shot of some 1967 Grateful Dead...

Here's the first known Turn on Your Lovelight and the fourth Alligator, from Toronto in August 1967...

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1967-08-05.sbd.10356.shnf


You can hear Pigpen in good voice here on Lovelight, some blistering guitar work on both tunes, a good example of the band's early harmonizing, and then they go full out in the "waggin his tail" jam producing a sound and vibe that, for me, captures the essence of the psychedelic sound; part blues, part rock, part cacophony, all raw energy.

Posters and stuff...
http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1960s/19670805.html


This is a drop out song and it inspires you all to drop out and dance, dance, dance...

(oddly enough, there's one song on this show I didn't listen to before putting up the link... I linked to it again in my next post - the one for Tom. Ironic how these things happen, GD synchronicity)

~otb

"say what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment